THE GIVENCHY ROYAL HANOVER CHANDELIER\nA GERMAN SILVER EIGHT-LIGHT CHANDELIER\nBY BALTHASAR FRIEDRICH BEHRENS, HANOVER, DELIVERED 13 SEPTEMBER 1736, DESIGNED BY THE KING'S ARCHITECT WILLIAM KENT\nWith fluted and acanthus-clad ring handle headed by an acanthus baluster knop, rising to an everted openwork acanthus calyx forming the cul-de-lamp and a central fluted vase-shaped standard with ovolo border at the shoulder flanked by four addorsed and acanthus-wrapped sphinx floating on acanthus, each
CHANDELIER\nFARS, SUD DE L'IRAN, PREMIERE MOITIE DU XIVEME SIECLE\nLa base cylindrique, le col tubulaire, la bobèche cylindrique légèrement rétrécie à l'embouchure, en laiton à décor incrusté d'argent et d'or, base garnie d'inscriptions en thuluth, interrompues par quatre rondeaux figurant des cavaliers, guerriers ou chasseurs, deux bandeaux floraux et de losanges reliés, l'épaule garnie d'une série de huit médaillons abritant des personnages assis dans la position du lotus sur un fond de rincea
Tiffany Studios Cobweb Table Lamp. Also known today in the Tiffany market parlance as a 'Spiderweb', this model was introduced around 1900, at the latest in 1901. Designed for combustion fuels, the first examples contained canisters within their baluster bases. To disguise the heavy visual effect that this entailed, a floral pattern rendered in mosaic tiles was added. When the design was modified some years later for electrification, as in this example, the wick and glass chimney were replaced b
A HIGHLY IMPORTANT LEADED GLASS, BRONZE AND MOSAIC 'LOTUS' LAMP\nTiffany Studios, circa 1900-1910\nThe leaded glass outer shade in a continuous frieze of waterlilies with its pendulous flowers, buds, stamen and umbelle-like leaves in rich and varied shades of pink, red, yellow, green and blue forming an undulating border and suspended from chased bronze tendrils, a second set of eight tendrils suspends eight favrile glass shades to depict pink lotus flowers of globe form, the tendrils descending
Alberto Giacometti\nUnique and large conic chandelier with four small cones, from the Tériade apartment, Paris\ncirca 1954\nPlaster.\n83.9 cm (33 in.) drop, 129.2 cm (50 7/8 in.) diameter\nTogether with a certificate of authenticity from the Comité Giacometti.
A MAMLUK ENAMELLED AND GILDED CLEAR GLASS MOSQUE LAMP\nSultan Hasan Period, Egypt or Syria, 1347-61 AD\nOf typical form, the rounded body with long sloping curved shoulder, flaring conical mouth and spreading trumpet foot, six applied loop handles around the body, the body and mouth divided by white enamel strapwork into shaped linked panels of lotus flowers on blue ground and loosely drawn floral motifs in red on a clear ground, together with smaller red floral and polychrome fleur-de-lys panel
With a "Tree" base\nUnderside of shade mounting post impressed 28277 and 11mounting pin on shade impressed 11top of base column impressed 11base plate impressed TIFFANY STUDIOS/NEW YORK/28277 and 11underside of perimeter base cushion impressed 11\nLouis C. Tiffany was enamored with creeping vines and they played a major role in the landscaping of his two Long Island mansions, The Briars and Laurelton Hall. It was only natural, therefore, that one of the earliest leaded glass lamps created by Ti
Dan Flavin\n"monument" for V. Tatlin\n1964-65\ncool white fluorescent light\n96 x 31 1/4 in. (243.8 x 79.4 cm)\nThis work is number 2 from an edition of 5 and is accompanied by a certificate of authenticity signed by the artist.Another work from the edition is in the permanent collection of the Dia: Beacon, Beacon, New York.
AN IMPORTANT LEADED GLASS AND BRONZE TABLE LAMP\nFrank Lloyd Wright, Executed by the Linden Glass Company, for the Susan Lawrence Dana House, Springfield , Illinois, circa 1903\n22¼in. (56.5cm.) high, 32¼in. (81.9cm.) wide, 19 1/8in. (48.6cm.) deep
A SET OF FOUR LOUIS XVI ORMOLU FIVE-LIGHT CANDELABRA\nCIRCA 1783, ALMOST CERTAINLY SUPPLIED BY DOMINIQUE DAGUERRE AFTER A DESIGN BY JEAN-DEMOSTHENE DUGOURC AND ATTRIBUTED TO FRANCOIS REMOND\nEach with Neo-classical urn with removeable lid with berried finial, the guilloche collar on four monopodiae, the eared platform issuing four scrolling acanthus reeded branches terminating in sphinx heads with tasselled cushion supporting a laurel-bound baluster drip-pan, the pearl-swagged central shaft abov
From an edition of two\nImpressed FRANCOIS-XAVIER/LALANNE/70 with artist's monogram\nOver the course of his multi-decade career, Francois-Xavier Lalanne inspired and delighted viewers with his sculptural interpretations of the natural world. In his extensive and diverse body of work, much of which he co-created with his wife, Claude, Lalanne experimented with imagery, aesthetics, material, and functionality to ignite curiosity and endear his whimsical sculptures. Flora and fauna become cleverly
The “Wisteria” lamp model is one of the most iconic lamp designs produced by Tiffany Studios. Its complex pattern is comprised of nearly 2,000 pieces of glass that had to be individually selected and cut. Consequently, each "Wisteria" lamp possesses its own distinct color variations. This particular example has an exquisite range of deep cobalt blue glass, and the lower panicles are selectively accented in rich jewel-toned aqua. The overall effect achieved by the glass selection is lyrical a
A MAMLUK ENAMELLED AND GILDED CLEAR GLASS MOSQUE LAMP MADE FOR SULTAN AL-NASIR MUHAMMAD\nEgypt or Syria, 1293-1341 AD\nOf typical form, the rounded angled body with flaring conical mouth on short foot, six applied loop handles around the body, the body with a broad band of polychrome spiralling tendrils around a bold blue thuluth inscription, a band of cusped roundels with fleur-de-lys motifs above, the mouth with a band of inscription on spiralling blue ground between a band of trefoil roundel
A MONUMENTAL PAIR OF FRENCH CUT AND MOLDED-CRYSTAL SEVENTY-NINE-LIGHT CANDELABRA\n\nBY COMPAGNIE DES CRISTALLERIES DE BACCARAT, CIRCA 1915\n\nEach surmounted by a faceted bulbous finial above three circular tiers issuing down-turned or out-scrolled 's' form candle branches terminating in flower-form drip-pans suspending beaded prisms, above a conical support made in sections, with molded stiff-leaf corona over a diamond-cut vasiform stem and domed cap over two beaded bands enclosing a tapering s
THE MARQUESS OF ANGLESEY'S CANDELABRA\nA PAIR OF GEORGE III SILVER TWO-LIGHT CANDELABRA\nMARK OF JOHN WAKELIN AND WILLIAM TAYLOR, LONDON, 1792\nEach on circular base, the baluster stem and base each entirely cast and chased with swirling flutes, the similarly chased branches with plain wax-pans and detachable short reed-and-tie cast nozzles, with central cast flame finial, the wax-pans and top of the stem each later engraved with a crest within a Garter motto and below a marquess' coronet, each
Tiffany Studios, An Important and Rare "Grape" Table Lamp\nShade impressed TIFFANY STUDIOS/NEW YORK with partially affaced number\nBase impressed TIFFANY STUDIOS/NEW YORK/346\nLeaded glass and patinated bronze\n26 5/8 in. (67.6 cm) high 18 1/8 in. (46.1 cm) diameter of shade\nCirca 1902\nWith an exceptional "Tree Trunk" base
A PAIR OF LOUIS XVI GILT-WALNUT AND GESSO TORCHÈRES\nEXECUTED BY P.GONTIER, CARVED BY G.P.CAUVET AND GILDED BY F. MATHON, CIRCA 1778\nEach with a circular top carved with bands of berried foliage and with spirally turned obverses, the stop-fluted shaft with composite capitals and acanthus upon a concave-sided foliate-carved base surmounted by fruiting finials and with scrolling imbricated channelled lion monopodia supports linked by ribbon-tied entwined foliate swags and with concave-sided chamf
With a "Scroll" Senior floor base and "Pig Tail" finial\nShade inscribed twice with Walter P. Chrysler, Jr., accession number GAT 82.53base impressed Tiffany Studios/NEW YORK/375\nNature's unlimited palette presented Tiffany's glassmakers and glass selectors with an abundance of opportunities to experiment with color and the transmission of light through glass as they crafted each floral shade. Springtime flowers, such as peonies, tulips, daffodils, and wisteria, each blooming in a riot of vibr
AN IMPORTANT 'MAGNOLIA' LEADED GLASS AND BRONZE FLOOR LAMP\nTiffany Studios, circa 1910\n78in. (198.1cm.) high, 28in. (71.7cm.) diameter of the shade, with 'pigtail' finial\nthe shade stamped TIFFANY STUDIOS NEW YORK 1599, the base stamped TIFFANY STUDIOS NEW YORK 376 and incised 579509024 on side
With a "Tree" base\nShade with small early tag impressed TIFFANY STUDIOS/NEW YORKunderside of shade mounting post impressed 10116top of base column impressed 10116base plate impressed TIFFANY STUDIOS/NEW YORK/10116 and 1underside of perimeter base cushion impressed 10116 and 1\nDesigned in 1901 by Clara Driscoll, the Wisteria lamp quickly became one of the most successful models produced by Tiffany Studios. Within five years of its introduction, the price for a Wisteria lamp was listed at $400.
With a large "Tree" base\nShade impressed TIFFANY STUDIOS/NEW YORK/346-1underside of bronze armature on shade impressed 7879 (partially effaced)base impressed TIFFANY STUDIOS/NEW YORK/348\nTiffany Studios paired the large "Tree" base with all of their irregular border shades, including the "Trumpet Creeper," "Wisteria," "Grape" and "Apple Blossom" models. A late 1890s photograph from the study collection of Agnes Northrop depicting trees in Gibraltar with exposed root systems may point to the o
A MAMLUK ENAMELLED AND GILDED CLEAR GLASS MOSQUE LAMP MADE FOR SULTAN BARQUQ\nEgypt or Syria, 1382-99 AD\nOf typical form, the angled rounded body with wide flaring conical mouth on short foot, six applied loops handles around the body, the body decorated with a bold blue band of reserved thuluth inscriptions divided by the handles, the underside with roundels containing bands of inscription alternating with blue arabesques interlace cusped oval panels divided by polychrome floral motifs, the fl
Tiffany Studios, "Wisteria" Table Lamp\nDesigned by Clara Driscoll\n"Wisteria" lamp (shade and base): model no. 342\nUnderside of bronze armature on shade stamped 6 (or 9)\nBase stamped TIFFANY STUDIOS/NEW YORK/26854 with the Tiffany Glass & Decorating Co. monogram, top of base standard stamped 6 (or 9)\nLeaded glass and patinated bronze\n26 7/8 in. (68.3 cm) high\n18 3/8 in. (46.7 cm) diameter of shade\nCa. 1905
Of three tier tower form, partly pierced with scrolls and geometric motifs: the top tier with partly tiled windowed dome with openwork coronet pierced with strapwork and double-headed eagles displayed below trefoils, the dome surrounded by a gallery occupied by eight figures with emblems as follows: Rosh Hashana - shofar and book, Purim - scroll and rattle, Passover - matzah and matzah scorer, Hanukah - menorah and ewer, Yom Kippur - knife and slain chicken, Shavuot - Tablets of the Law, Sukkot