Torsten Andersson studied at Otto Sköld’s Painting School in Stockholm in 1945, after which he went on to the Royal Institute of Art in Stockholm from 1946 to 1950 and then the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts in Copenhagen in 1947. Torsten Andersson held his first solo exhibition at Galerie Blanche in Stockholm in 1954. His early works were geometrically non-figurative and after his breakthrough, Andersson developed a growing interest in the dual interpretation of the image as an independent object and as a meaningful symbol.
Torsten Andersson used painting and its many possibilities to create the illusion of a reality that does not exist anywhere else but in the picture. Andersson's painting tools comprised opposing concepts such as painting-sculpture, surface-space, fictitious-real, figurative - abstract. Using these tools he questioned and explored the pictorial language dialog to find a path for his painting.
In 1966 Torsten Andersson retired from his professorship at the Royal Institute of Art in Stockholm which he had held since 1960. He moved back to Benarp in Skåne, where he had previously lived and worked, but did not paint for the following six years. Andersson stayed away from the art world until the late 1980s, when he returned to the scene with monumental, visionary and refined works of art.