six matching late 19th century victorian era decorative majolica glazed fireplace tiles. originally used as border tiles surrounding the outer perimeter of the fireplace hearth. the tiles exhibit a striking design composed of repeating neogrec keys and floral rosettes. measure 4 x 4 inches. fabricated by providential tile works. joseph kirkham, james robinson and c. lewis whitehead organized providential tile works in 1885. around this time they hired modeler isaac broome away from trent tile, their only potential local competitor in trenton, new jersey. like trent, providential produced dust-pressed, embossed tiles in mechanical, fly-wheel presses that were then colored with translucent glazes that accentuated the relief designs. principally made to adorn fireplace mantels, many tiles were produced in a contiguous series designed to surround a fireplace openingas was the fashion in upscale homes in the late 19th century. when isaac broome left providential in 1890, scott callowhill took his place as head modeler. he had come from england where he had worked for a number of prestigious establishments including the royal worcester works and doultons. soon he was joined at providential by his two sons, hubert and ronald, both ceramic decorators. the management of the company remained fairly consistent during its 28 year history. its doors closed in 1913. priced for the lot.