six matching original and well-maintained interior residential 19th century antique american victorian era majolica glazed fireplace surround tiles designed and fabricated by the short-lived kensington art tile co., newport, ky. the glazed ceramic tiles feature encircled rosettes surrounded by smaller floral motifs. the richly colored yellow-brown tiles are free from mortar, cracks or repairs. in 1881 the hatt brothers, arthur and otto, established a tile works at elm and lowell streets in newport, kentucky. their company, hatt & hatt, was taken over by a group of investors in 1885 and renamed the kensington art tile company. during its short tenure as a manufacturer of dust-pressed art tiles, the combination of portraits and floral interpretations was most impressive due to the artistic talents of herman mueller and mary louise mclaughlin, among others. a detailed report in 1891 described the facility and operations, beginning with “the main building being a substantial brick structure, three stories and basement in height and 40 by 200 feet in dimensions. the equipment for art tile-making purposes is of the most elaborate, complete and modern description, and includes four large kilns, which bake to the extent of 14,000 feet of tile at one filling. the processes of preparation of the crude clay are as elaborate as they are complicated. the clay is first puddled and forced through great sieves by steam power. it is then dried and ground to a fine powder, and then moulded and pressed into the tile shapes, which are carefully baked, then removed and coated with the enamel and glazing liquids. they are then finally placed in the kilns and thoroughly glazed, when they are finally removed to the sorting and packing room, and forthwith shipped to destination. the most extreme care is taken to have all the materials pure and accurately prepared, and the result is a perfection of quality, an elaborateness of finish, and a beauty and delicacy of colors and tints, nowhere else attempted, much less duplicated. an average force of 100 hands is employed, and ten teams are kept constantly busy.” the plant closed in the 1890's. priced for the lot of six. measures 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 inches.