refinished intact single fully functional c. 1920's antique industrial "style d" articulating arm factory machinist desk or table lamp designed and manufactured by the o.c. white co., worcester, mass. the lightly cleaned task lamp features a combination of steel tubes and cast iron joints corresponding closely to those in the human arm. the lamp may be shifted into any desired position and held there adjustably. the most astonishing feature is a sectional ball and socket joint on a base suited to any required position, either the ceiling, wall, floor, column and so on. this fascinating joint received many awards and medals (e.g., franklin institute, of philadelphia, the massachusetts charitable mechanics association, of boston, etc.) for its remarkable originality, both in design and execution. from this joint runs a tube of firm metal to a swivel joint which carries another metal tube, usually shorter than the first. this joint allows for the extension and rotation of the arms in any direction. the conducting wires are inserted through the short arm, which at its far end carries the lamp, by a third joint, which allows the lamp to be inclined at any angle. every joint of the mechanism has an elastic pressure, easily adjusted if necessary, which is sufficient to hold a heavy lamp and shade quite firmly, and still yield to a moderate force when it is desired to change its position. the variety of form as well as the range of motion of these holders is almost unlimited. the patented green enameled rolled rim diminutive steel shade with threaded ring was manufactured by harvery hubbell of chicago. the yellow brass hubbell key socket contains period appropriate braided cloth cord and bakelite plug. brushed metal components sealed with a clear coat lacquer. the o. c. white co. was incorporated in 1895, and began business at 65 beacon street in a very small way with only a few types of adjustable electric light fixtures, under patents originated by dr. otis c. white. during their peak in production the o.c. white company manufactured over one hundred different styles of lighting devices, including a large variety of portable lamps, desk fixtures, desk and table standards, wall brackets, floor portables and other types of fixtures in all finishes for use in business offices, banks, libraries and public buildings of every description, and also a great variety of heavy iron adjustable fixtures for use in machine shops, mills, factories. the company remained for ten years on beacon street and then having outgrown the old quarters, in 1905 removed to the heron street, where they remained for several years.